The annual Japanese Anime and Geek Culture Convention Kitacon has unveiled their new website today along with the name of this years event theme – Karnival. Registrations for the event will open on Sunday 3rd January at midday and will be limited to 900 guests plus 100 premium VIP memeberships. Also launching today will be the Kitacon Karnival Radio a monthly online broadcast. More details of the event at be found below in the press release:
Kitacon Announce Event Title, Launch Website ahead of 2016 Registration
U.K., 26th November 2015 – Kitacon’s committee and chair are pleased to announce the launch of the website for Kitacon Karnival at www.kitacon.org from Tuesday 1st December 2015. Registration for the 2016 edition of the Japanese Anime and Geek Culture Convention, which returns to the Birmingham Hilton Metropole NEC from Friday 1st to Sunday 3rd April 2016, will open midday Sunday 3rd January 2016. The event will be limited to 1,000 attendees, of which 100 will be premium V.I.P. memberships.
The site launch will include application forms live for Dealers, Artists and Press. Also launching on the 1st will be Kitacon Karnival Radio, a monthly live online broadcast hosted by Committee Vice-Chair and Master of Ceremonies Iain Boulton. It will discuss all things Kita, feature other committee members with specific convention news to keep listeners up to date, and cover other items of fandom interest to the Kita audience. The first broadcast will be at 8pm on Tuesday 1st December at http://mixlr.com/kitaconradio/, after which it will be available to download as a podcast.
Committee Chair Phil Hutchinson said: “In our continuing series of theme changes I’m excited to go for something more left field and crazy to play with. We have some new twists on some of our classic elements and are already planning new ideas to bring in. I hope attendees embrace the circus carnival atmosphere we’re bringing to this next event.”
Returning events will include:
- Cosplay Masquerade: includes cosplays worn by attendees during the event, and attendees submitting them to Kitacon’s cosplay competition.
- Kita’s Got Talent: showcases attendee talents such as singing, dancing, comedy and more.
- Craft Building events: including Build-A-Mecha and Speed Cosplay, encouraging attendees to create something from provided materials and fabrics within a specific time limit.
- Anime Music Video Showcase and Competition: encouraging talented editors to combine anime, TV and movies with music.
- Evening offerings: the famous party nights concluding each convention day with a mix of pop, rock, dance, j-pop, j-rock and disco classics will continue to be of a standard unique to the UK convention scene.
Master of Ceremonies & Committee Vice-Chair Iain Boulton said: “Now that the dust has settled from July 2015, we’re thrilled that Back To The Kitacon became our most successful event, and the committee are looking forward to recreating that success with Kitacon Karnival. The great news for Kitacon fans is that they’re not waiting too long for their next Kitacon event.”
He continued: “I hope Kitacon Karnival will be another terrific three-day convention experience celebrating the fandoms that we love and share with all of our attendees. With our traditional events and returning parties we still intend to deliver to the same high standards that have earned our popularity and following in a smaller residential event of 1,000 people. That, along with the traditional Kitacon presentation, ultimately makes Kitacon Karnival a must attend event for convention fans.”
Kitacon Social Media